As a nationally designated historic district founded in 1749, Old Town Alexandria serves as a gateway into a immersive and rich part of American culture and history. Experience the streets lined with Georgian homes where founding fathers could be found parking their horse and carriage as they met friends to discuss the founding principles that make up the fabric of the United States. Don’t own a horse and buggy? You’ll want to plan ahead if you intend to drive and park in downtown Alexandria.
Parking anywhere can be a frustrating and expensive experience when it goes wrong. Read on for our tips and tricks to finding cheap, convenient parking in downtown Alexandria!
• • •
Best Alexandria Parking Deals
Regardless of where in Alexandria you’re looking to park, or for how long, there are great deals to be found. Parking on the street in Alexandria costs $1.50 per hour, but finding a space is not always guaranteed and there are actually cheaper all-day parking deals in all areas of the neighborhood. SpotHero is a great resource for finding the best parking prices and locations in the most popular places in Alexandria. We’ve outlined some of the best deals in the area in the table below.
|Address||Reserve Parking?||Price Range||Nearby Attractions|
|418 Cameron St – Valet||Book Now!||$5||Gadspy’s Tavern Museum|
|102 N. Union St||Book Now!||$14||Torpedo Factory Art Center|
|115 S Union St||Book Now!||$5||The Athenaeum|
|1101 King St||Book Now!||$10||Historic King St.|
|2000 Duke St||Book Now!||$9||George Washington Masonic Memorial|
|901 N. Fairfax St||Book Now!||$21||–|
**Prices and availability above are subject to change.
• • •
Alexandria Online Parking Reservations
Explore Alexandria parking options in the map below and use SpotHero to book a guaranteed space ahead of time!
• • •
Alexandria Street Parking
- 2 or 3 Hour parking (depending on the location) from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. in Old Town and Carlyle and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Potomac Yard Monday through Saturday.
- Multi-space parking meters have replaced most single-space devices in Old Town. The rate at multi-space meters is $1.75 per hour, and the rate at single-space meters is $1.25 per hour. Meters in Old Town and Carlyle require payment Monday through Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., and are free on Sundays and state holidays. Meters in Potomac Yard require payment Monday through Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and are free on Sundays and state holidays
- Below is an overview of parking choices in Old Town Alexandria. Many parking garages and lots are located conveniently in the Historic District. On-street parking is available at meters up to two or three hours (depending on location). To ensure legal parking, read all posted signs before parking. Parking limits are strictly enforced.
Alexandria Parking Tips
- There’s a cluster of public parking garages near Lower King Street and Alexandria’s waterfront. The city-owned garage at 10 Thompson’s Alley is $5 after 5 p.m. on weekdays, and tucked away down the alley is another hidden garage at 220 N. Union Street. In fact, the Union Street garage offers such a fantastic view of the Potomac, I’d pay to picnic on the roof!
- Street parking in Old Town is free on Sundays, after 9 p.m. on weekdays and on state holidays.
• • •
Best Alexandria Parking Resources
- SpotHero– book discounted parking in Alexandria online or on your smart phone
- Alexandria Parking Blog – view an official blog from the City of Alexandria’s visitors page
- ParkingPanda – reserve parking in Alexandria online
- Visit Alexandria– Check out the official visitors page for visitor tips
- Yelp – read customer reviews of parking facilities in Alexandria
- TripAdvisor– read the advise of TripAdvisor users who have previously parked in Alexandria